This Vegetarian Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a cozy comfort food dinner with delicious rich flavor of a traditional cottage pie but stars lentils instead of meat! It is both lower in fat and calories than regular shepherd’s pie and we have added in a variety of hearty veggies including mushrooms, butternut squash and Swiss chard to make it nutritious yet filling! Even meat eaters will be fully satisfied!
- 1 ½ pounds organic thin-skinned “waxy” potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup non-fat buttermilk, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large, sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika, or smoked paprika, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, drained and rinsed (or 3 c cooked lentils)
- 1 packed cup finely chopped Swiss chard leaves or Spinach
- 1 large Roma tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup water or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover generously with cold water. Add ½ teaspoon salt. Place saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, 15 to 19 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Add butter and mash the potatoes roughly with a potato masher. Add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup buttermilk and white pepper and continue mashing. Gradually add more buttermilk as you mash to achieve desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, squash, mushrooms, oregano, salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms release their juices and the moisture has evaporated, and the vegetables start to brown, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Add lentils, Swiss chard, tomatoes and broth, cover and reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low.) Cook until the squash is tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the lentil mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake until the lentil mixture is bubbling, and the potatoes are browned, 20 to 30 minutes. Broil until lightly browned if desired. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- To Make Ahead: Can be prepared through step 6 up to 2 days in advance. Store covered with aluminum foil in the refrigerator.
- Storing Leftovers: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 368
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie, Lentil Shepherd’s Pie, Lentil Cottage Pie, vegetarian cottage pie, lentil shepherd’s pie recipe