This delicious vegetarian fettuccine carbonara with mushrooms is easy to make and creamy. Bonus: it’s actually good for you!
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin live oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When water boils, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta cooking water. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook, stirring often until browned and caramelized 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, red pepper, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until the mushrooms are soft and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk egg and ½ cup Parmesan in a small bowl.
- Add the hot pasta to the mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Add the egg mixture and a little of the hot pasta cooking liquid if necessary to thin the sauce if necessary.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 237 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 17 g