This vegetarian caramelized onion and portabella mushroom lasagna is made with part-skim ricotta and shredded cheese, and can be made two days ahead.
- 9 lasagna noodles or oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 6-ounce packages Portabella Mushroom caps, halved and sliced (gills removed if desired)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Fresh mixed herbs (Poultry Blend)
- 1 large egg
- 1 16-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 26-ounce jar Pasta Sauce
- 2 cups (8- ounces) shredded Mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- If using regular noodles, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. (Skip to step 2 if using oven ready noodles.) Cook lasagna, stirring occasionally according to package instructions or until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally (add 4 to 5 tablespoons water as necessary to prevent from browning before the onions become very soft) until browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, herbs. Increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mushrooms have become soft and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add ricotta and pepper and stir until completely combined.
- Spread ½ cup pasta sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer three cooked lasagna noodles vertically into the baking dish. Top with half of the onions and mushroom mixture. Spread with about half of the ricotta mixture. Top with ¾ cup sauce and 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella.
- Layer on 3 more noodles, the remaining onion mixture, the remaining ricotta mixture, 3/4 cup sauce and 2/3 cup cheese.
- Top with the remaining 3 noodles and the remaining ¾ cup sauce. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until the lasagna is steaming hot all the way through, 38 to 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with the remaining 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until the mozzarella on top is just melted but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing it into 8 servings.
To Make Ahead: Can be prepared through step 5 up to 2 day in advance. Proceed with step 6 adding an extra 15 minutes of cook time before removing foil.
- Serving Size: 1/8 lasagna
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 22