Adapted from Butternut Squash Maple Walnut Scones
Recipe from OATrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester
These scones are only slightly sweet so they are just as great with a soup or salad as they are as a delicious breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups (198 g) whole wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour or gluten-free baking mix
- 3/4 cup (72 g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (60 g) granulated maple sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (123 g) pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) ground flax-seed mixed with 4 tablespoons (60 ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) almond or oat milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1 teaspoon maple extract, optional
- 1/2 cup (55 g) finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 5 to 6 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a large cookie sheet (*or line with parchment to make oil-free).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl well. Mix the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
- Right before baking, add the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until thoroughly combined, then mix in the walnuts.
- Scoop out the batter to the middle of your prepared cookie sheet and pat it into a big circle about 3/4-inch thick. Using a chef ’s knife, score into 12 triangles by cutting halfway through the dough.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 20 minutes, then cut into individual scones.
- Place confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Make glaze by whisking a few drops of maple syrup into the confectioners’ sugar. Add more as necessary to achieve desired texture. Drizzle over the cooled scones.
The flax-water mixture is what we call a flax-egg. It’s not an egg at all, but it’s supposed to mimic an egg in vegan baking. When you combine ground flax seeds and water it forms a thick paste that acts as a binder for the rest of the ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin scones,pumpkin scones without oil,oil free vegan scones,pumpkin oat scones,pumpin walnut scones