Turnips and turnip greens with cashew cream sauce is a naturally gluten-free and low-carb dish. It’s perfect for serving with a simple weeknight meal!
- 1 ½ cup water, divided
- ½ cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups chopped turnip greens (substitute mustard greens or baby kale if unavailable)
- 2/3 cup freshly shredded Pecorino, omit for vegan option
- Place 1 cup water, cashew pieces, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a blender.
- Swirl oil in a large skillet over medium heat add garlic, and cook, turning garlic in the hot oil occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant. Transfer the garlic from the skillet to the blender with tongs. Puree the cashew mixture until completely sooth, scraping sides once or twice, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the turnips to the garlic oil, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring once or twice until the turnips are browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove lid from the skillet and pour the cashew cream into the turnips. Stir to coat. Bring to a simmer, add greens, and cook, stirring until they are wilted and the sauce is thick, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/3 cup Pecorino, if using. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese if using.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 185
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 8