This hearty Italian sausage kale soup recipe is ready in under 30 minutes! Loaded with spicy Italian turkey sausage, bright kale and beans, this one-pot meal is an easy dinner for busy weeknights.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14 oz can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade
- 3 cups kale chopped
1. Add olive oil to dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add sausage and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. or until browned, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to break into smaller pieces. Add garlic and continue to stir until the fragrant.
3. Add chicken stock, carrots, salt, black pepper, and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add kale and stir until the greens have wilted. Divide individual servings of this delicious soup among bowls, and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
Don’t have kale on hand? Swap it with spinach instead.
Like it spicy? Add some red pepper flakes with the rest of the spices in step three above, or sprinkle over top of the soup when serving
Because this is such a simple recipe with minimal ingredients, the quality of the ingredients matter. Homemade stock is best
If you plan on freezing this soup, do so before adding the kale. Cool soup completely and store in an airtight container in the freezer. As you reheat the soup on the stove top in a large soup pot over medium-low heat, add the kale once the soup has come to a boil and stir until wilted.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Additional Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 31 g
Keywords: Turkey Sausage and Kale soup,sausage and kale soup,italian sausage and kale soup