This is the sandwich of my dreams. Honey Oat bread, with honey mustard, smoked turkey, avocado and sprouts! It’s just the thing to pack into a cooler for a picnic this summer.
- 8 thick slices honey oat bread, preferably hand-sliced
- 4 tablespoons garlic mayonnaise or mayonnaise
- 8 teaspoons honey mustard
- 8 ounces Smoked Turkey
- 4 slices deli sliced cheddar, about 2 ounces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated
- 1 cup fresh alfalfa sprouts
- Lay bread on work surface. Spread mayonnaise on four slices and the honey mustard on the other four slices, dividing evenly.
- Top the mayo with turkey and cheddar, dividing evenly. Layer on avocado slices, onion and sprouts. Close sandwiches honey-mustard side down. Slice in half and wrap with parchment. Refrigerate or keep cold until ready to enjoy. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead.
The avocado in these sandwiches will brown over time. If they are packed into the sandwiches it will take several hours for the avocado to brown. While this is harmless it may be not-so-pretty. To avoid that you can drizzle them with lemon or lime which helps prevent them from browning. But note that the acidity of the lemon or lime will change the flavor of the sandwich.
If you can, you can also make the sandwiches without the avocado, then pack a plastic knife to slice and add them in just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 434 cals
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 24 g