This turkey meatloaf is lean and healthy and yet juicy and flavorful with a sweet and tangy glaze. It has finely chopped and sautéed vegetables to add moisture and nutrition.
1 tablespoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
1 cup diced onion
¾ cup diced bell pepper, green or red
¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms (not sliced)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 ½ teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 pounds ground turkey, preferably 95% lean
1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup ketchup
2 tablespoon brown sugar or maple sugar
4 to 10 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic and cook stirring often until the onion is starting to brown and the vegetables are soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in oregano and thyme and remove from the heat. Scrape into a large bowl, spread out as much as possible and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat it lightly with cooking spray.
- Add egg to the mixing bowl and mix to combine with the veggies. Add the turkey, bread crumbs, Worcestershire and salt and gently knead with clean hands until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pat the turkey meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape, about 12 inches by 4 inches on the prepared baking sheet.
- Stir ketchup, brown sugar and Tabasco in a small dish. Spread over the meatloaf and transfer the meatloaf to the oven. Bake until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165 degrees F, 38 to 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- You can make the turkey meatloaf through step three up to 1 day ahead. Just cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one day.
- Then remove the cover, preheat your oven and continue with step four.
- Note that because it will be colder, you will likely need to add an additional 5 to 8 minutes to the cook time. Just go by the internal temperature to know when it is cooked through. (A safe internal temperature of 165 degrees is what you’re looking for.)
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top, Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 8th loaf
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: turkey meatloaf,turkey meatloaf with veggies,turkey meatloaf with vegetables,turkey meatloaf with mushrooms