Thai inspired fish cakes with shredded salad with fresh herbs, only 222 calories.
- 1 pound tilapia filet, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 fresh kaffir lime leaf, minced or 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or brown sugar), divided
- 1 tablespoon grated galangal, or 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chili, preferably Thai bird chilis or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 4 cups shredded Romaine or Napa cabbage
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 cup julienne radish
- 1 cup loosely packed torn mixed basil leaves, cilantro and mint
- Place tilapia in a food processor with cornstarch lime leaf (or zest), two tablespoons fish sauce, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and galangal (or ginger) pulse and then process until the mixture comes together as a sticky rough ‘dough’. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Form fish mixture into 8 patties (1/4 cup each) with moist hands, and set on a baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 of the fish cakes and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn over and continue cooking, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent burning, until cooked through and the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil and cakes, adjusting heat as necessary.
- Whisk the remaining 2 teaspoons fish sauce, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, lime juice, canola oil and chili in a large bowl. Add Romaine (or Napa), scallion, radish and herbs and toss to coat. Divide salad among four plates top with the fish cakes and drizzle any remaining dressing from the bottom of the bowl over.
Saturated Fat: 5 grams, Fiber: 2 grams. Protein: 23 grams. Sodium: 935.
- Serving Size: 2 cakes and 2 cups salad
- Calories: 222
- Fat: 11