This Texas Caviar with Roasted Peppers will be the hit of the party on its own as a festive side dish, or you can serve it as an appetizer dip style with chips.
- 2 cups dry black-eyed peas, sorted
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder, or to taste
- 2 jalapenos, minced, seeds included to taste
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- Soak black eyed-peas in a large bowl of water at least 7 hours or overnight. Drain and place in a large saucepan. Cover with a generous amount of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange oven rack in upper third of the oven and turn on broiler. Line a heavy baking sheet with aluminum foil and place red and green peppers on it. Broil the peppers, turning every 3 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes total. Transfer the peppers to a heat-proof bowl, cover with foil and let steam until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel of the blacked skin and remove seeds. Dice the flesh.
- Finely chop garlic. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon kosher salt over the garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Transfer the garlic paste to a large bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, canola oil, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, black pepper and chipotle chile.
- When the peas are tender, drain thoroughly and add to the dressing in the bowl. Stir in jalapenos, scallions and the diced roasted peppers and stir to combine. Refrigerate up to 2 days.
To Make Ahead: Combine all ingredients except scallions and refrigerate 1 day ahead. Stir in scallions before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g