These Sweet Potato Blondies are chocked full of chocolate, toasted walnuts and are veggie packed, whole wheat and 100 calories less than the traditional version. Perfect for all of your Fall activities!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 1 ½ pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated maple sugar or dark brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add sweet potato to steamer basket, cover and cook until tender when pierced with a knife 14 to 18 minutes. Cool completely. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. You will only need 1 ½ cups puree for this recipe. Reserve any remaining puree for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl on medium high speed until smooth. Add sweet potato and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat on low until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts by hand.
- Spread dough into the prepared baking dish and bake until golden and set up, 22 to 26 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/24 batch
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 86 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg