Spinach Egg Bake made with sharp cheddar cheese, frozen spinach and eggs for a grain-free breakfast that you can meal-prep on the weekend, then eat for a low-carb high-protein breakfast during the week.
1 10- ounce block frozen chopped spinach, thawed
12 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated on a microplane grater
¼ cup half and half
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black or white pepper
4 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Transfer the spinach to the prepared pie plate.
- Whisk eggs, garlic, half and half in a large bowl. Add mustard, paprika (if using) salt, pepper and nutmeg and whisk to combine until the spices are blended into the eggs and there are no large clumps of mustard. Pour the egg mixture over the spinach. Top with cheddar.
- Carefully transfer to the oven and bake until the mixture is set in the center, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving. Or cool completely, slice and store, covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To substitute fresh spinach, cook spinach in a large pot with a small amount of water until wilted. Drain, let cool and then chop. You will need to weigh out 10 ounces once it is cooked and drained.
- Serving Size: 1/6 egg bake
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 19 g