This spatchcocked roasted chicken with a simple tarragon pan sauce is the perfect healthy Fall comfort food dinner. It’s gluten free, wheat free and low carb!!
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- zest and 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped tarragon, divided
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon salted butter, divided
- 1 shallot
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425 convection.
- Sprinkle salt over the garlic and mash on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife to form a coarse paste. Mix““` garlic and salt paste with lemon zest, 2 teaspoons tarragon and pepper in a small dish.
- Cut backbone out of chicken using sharp kitchen shears. Open cavity of chicken and score a vertical line along inside of breast bone, and bend chicken open further so that it lays flat.
- Rub chicken all over with the garlic and zest mixture. Lay chicken out flat, skin side up in a large heavy skillet or flame proof roasting pan. Transfer to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F, 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes. Remove chicken from the skillet and let rest on a carving board while you prepare the sauce.
- Pour off any fat from the skillet leaving juices behind. Place over medium-low heat (USE CAUTION HANDLE WILL BE HOT) Add 1 teaspoon butter to the skillet and allow to melt. Add shallot and cook, stirring until the shallot is browned, about 2 minutes. Add sherry and lemon juice and bring to a simmer, stirring up any browned bits from the skillet, over high heat. Simmer until the liquid is almost completely evaporated. Stir broth and cornstarch in a measuring cup and add to skillet stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook, stirring , until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in any accumulated juices from the carving board, the remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon and the remaining 1 teaspoon butter until the butter is completely melted into the sauce.
- Remove chicken legs from the breast at the joint with a sharp knife. Remove chicken wings. Serve chicken with the tarragon sauce.
This chicken is great leftover but the skin should be discarded because it loses its crispy texture. To reheat, place the chicken on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 2 minutes per piece. To reheat in the oven, place in a small oven-proof baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through. Use an instant-read thermometer to check that it is hot in the center.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 1/2 ounces chicken each
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 1105 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 59 g
Keywords: spatchcocked chicken,spatchcoked chicken in a skillet