Here is an easy version of Soupe Au Pistou made with canned beans and purchased pesto for a simple fast dinner. Meal prep instructions included and it can be made vegetarian too!
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 head fennel, diced, or 4 stalks celery, sliced
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and shredded with a box grater
1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning blend
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup dry white wine
5 cups chicken broth, or Imagine no-chicken broth
Seasonal Veggie Medley, see ingredient note
2 14-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
5 tablespoons purchased pesto, or classic Pistou
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom soup pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, fennel (or celery) and onion and cook, stirring often until the onion starts to brown, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Add herbes de Provence, salt, pepper and smoked paprika and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add wine and cook, stirring often until the wine is evaporated about 90 seconds.
- Add in broth, potatoes, rosemary and Seasonal Veggie Medley. Bring to a simmer over high heat, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Mash 1 can of beans in a small bowl. Stir mashed and whole beans into the simmering soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with 2 tablespoons pesto or pistou.
Seasonal Veggie Medley:
For winter variation: 4 cups finely chopped kale plus 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
For Summer Variation: 2 cups diced zucchini and 1 cup green beans, cut into ½-inch pieces
Make Ahead: Instructions to Meal Prep this recipe and make it in your instant pot:
- Combine fennel (or celery), herbes de Provence, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and rosemary in a large resealable freezer bag. Add Seasonal vegetable medley. DO NOT add the garlic and onion to the freezer pack. Press air out of bag, seal shut and freeze flat up to 1 month.
- Smash bag with rolling pin or heavy skillet a few times to break up the mixture.
- Dice onion and chop garlic.
- Heat oil in Heat the oil in either Instant pot on sauté mode or in a heavy soup pot over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often until the onion is starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- For Instant Pot: Empty the frozen vegetable mixture into Instant Pot. Add wine and broth and cover with lid. Seal vent and set to pressure cook for 3 minutes for summer vegetables or 4 minutes for winter vegetables. When timer goes off, carefully quick release the steam with a pot holder and tongs. Remove lid and stir. Mash 1 cup beans in a small bowl. Stir the mashed and whole beans into the soup. Rewarm on sauté mode if necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with pesto or pistou.
- For Stove Top: Add wine and let simmer one minute. Empty the frozen vegetable mixture into the soup pot. Add broth and cover with lid. Increase heat to high, and bring to a lively simmer, stirring often, 13 to 15 minutes. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir the mashed and whole beans into the soup. Rewarm if necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with pesto or pistou.
Leftover soup keeps refrigerated for up to 4 days. Can be frozen up to three months.
- Serving Size: 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon pesto
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 18 g