Smoky Ratatouille with Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts is an easy 25 minute recipe based on the French classic. This version is topped with fresh goat cheese and pine nuts and it’s naturally grain-free and vegetarian. Just omit the goat cheese to make it vegan!
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 cups cubed zucchini and or yellow squash, about ¾ pound
- 3 cups cubed eggplant, about ½ pound
- 1 large diced red bell pepper (6-ounces)
- 1 28-ounce can whole fire roasted tomatoes or low sodium tomatoes* see tip
- 2 teaspoons tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup crumbled fresh goat cheese, optional
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large straight-sided sauté pan, or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic, onion and salt and cook, stirring often until browned in some spots, and starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add Herbs de Provence and smoked paprika and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds. Add zucchini, eggplant and red bell and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are starting to soften and a brown patina starts to form along the edges of the pan (fond), 5 to 7 minutes.
- Crush tomatoes by hand into bite sized pieces. Add the tomatoes and their juices to the eggplant mixture and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened to desired tenderness and starting to break down, and the tomato juices are thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in oregano and ground pepper. Serve warm or cold topped with goat cheese (if using), pine nuts and parsley.
*tip: Sub 3 cups chopped fresh chopped tomatoes plus a generous pinch salt if desired. A combination of ripe Roma tomatoes and heirloom slicing tomatoes is best.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 399 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g