This Smoky and Sweet Turkey Chili is one of my favorite recipes from my cookbook, Maple. It is savory and spicy and has a mellow sweetness from the addition of maple syrup. Top it with your favorite chili toppers like avocado, cilantro, sour cream and cheese.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
- 4 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add turkey, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally until browned, and no longer pink on the outside. Transfer the turkey and any juices from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic and salt and cook, stirring often until the onion is very soft and brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and chipotle and cook, stirring until fragrant and starting to toast and darken slightly, 30 to 90 seconds. Add vinegar, and stir until evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add 1 cup water and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits and spices. Add tomatoes, beans, maple syrup and the turkey, and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook stirring occasionally until the turkey and onion are tender, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro and pepitas.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 396 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 16 g