This meltingly tender Pork Roast is full of flavor! And you will not believe how incredibly easy it is to roast a pork shoulder! This festive Italian inspired version makes a perfect celebratory dinner for the Holiday Season!
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4.5 pound to 5.5 boneless pork butt
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Mix garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, fennel seed, thyme, salt, pepper and rosemary in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over the pork and inside where the bone was removed. Tie the roast together with butcher twine. Place pork in a 2 gallon x-large re-sealable bag or in a baking dish. Seal bag or cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Coat the rack with cooking spray. Remove the pork from the bag or baking dish and set on the rack, skin side up. Roast until the pork is very tender when tested with a fork, if the meat gives away very eaily then it is tender. Furthermore the roast will reach an internal temperature of 180-185 degrees, 5 to 7 hours. Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Or rest longer wrapped in foil and swaddled in a cooler.
- While pork rests, remove rack from the roasting pan. Pour excess pork fat off into a dish or can to discard. Add wine to the roasting pan. Set roasting pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer while scraping up browned pieces from the pan. Add 1 cup broth and return to a simmer. Whisk cornstarch with the remaining ½ cup broth and drizzle into the simmering broth mixture in the pan. Bring to a boil while whisking and simmer until desired consistency, 2 to 4 minutes. Strain into a gravy boat.
- Remove twine. Shred or slice the pork and serve with the sauce.
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 24 g