This sweet and smoky maple chipotle pulled chicken is so easy because you can make it right in your slow cooker! It is my new favorite weeknight meal and my whole family loves it!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Swirl to coat pan. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add half of the chicken and sear on one side until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the insert of a large crockpot. Reduce heat to medium-high and sear the remaining half of chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add onion and water to the skillet, and cook, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, paprika, salt and chipotle. Remove from heat and scrape the onion mixture into the crockpot. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low, undisturbed for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks before serving. Serve with the braising sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 524
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 25