Bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks cooked in the slow cooker with tomatoes, bell peppers and okra until tender as can be.
- 4 bone-in chicken legs
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, preferably organic, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced (French cut)
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 bell peppers any color, or 4 cubanelle peppers, cored and sliced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Cut chicken legs into two pieces, along the fat line that runs between the thigh and drumstick.
- Remove skin, trimming at the bottom of the drumstick if necessary. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side. (Note: The chicken will not be cooked through.) Transfer the chicken to the insert of a slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reducing heat to medium as necessary to prevent scorching.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato and olives, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Pour tomato mixture over the onions. Add peppers to the slow cooker and cover.
- Turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4. In last half hour of cooking, remove lid and layer okra on top. Cover and let continue to cook the remaining 30 minutes.
- To serve gently remove chicken pieces to pasta bowls. Stir the vegetables together. Ladle the vegetable mixture around the meat and top with a generous amount of parsley.
To make ahead, prepare through step 5. Cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours ahead. Continue with step 6.
- Serving Size: 1 cup vegetable 1 piece of chicken