This Slow Cooker Beef Chuck with Pasta and Porcini Mushrooms is comfort food that is cooked in your slow cooker, making it an awesome weeknight dinner!
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck, rolled and tied
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14-ounce can Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1 pound penne rigate
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place mushrooms in a small bowl; Cover with boiling water and soak 30 minutes, lift the mushrooms out of the liquid transfer to a cutting board and chop. Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee filter or cheesecloth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Meanwhile, pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over beef and immediately place in hot oil. Brown beef on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Remove beef and set in the insert of a large slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and swirl. Add celery, garlic, onion, carrot and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are starting to soften and brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Add wine and reduce about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in bay leaf, tomatoes, stock, marjoram and the reserved chopped mushrooms and soaking liquid. Pour over the beef. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 6 hours. Transfer the beef to a carving board, and pour the cooking liquid into a skillet to reduce.
- Boil the cooking liquid over high heat until very thick, 8 to 14 minutes. Remove string from the meat. Break the beef into large chunks and discard any fat.
- Meanwhile, boil penne in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Combine penne, gravy and the chunks of meat. Toss to coat. Adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve sprinkled with parsley and Parmesan.
2.5 mg Vitamin B12, 5 mg Vitamin C, 294 mg Phosphorous, 0 g Added Sugars
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cup
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 270 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 31 g