This Skinny Vegetable Reuben is loaded with veggies, topped with lacto-fermented sauerkraut and sauced with home-made skinny Russian dressing. It is ready in less than 30 minutes for an awesome vegetarian meal the whole family will love!
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon relish
- pinch celery salt
- 4 large slices rye bread
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sauerkraut, drained
- 3 slices Swiss cheese, about 2 ounces
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring often until the mushrooms and onions are softened and browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach, and stir until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, stir Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and celery salt in a small dish. Lay bread on work surface. Butter bread, dividing evenly. Flip bread, butter side down. Spread the yogurt mixture over the other side of bread, dividing evenly among the four slices.
- Divide vegetable mixture between two slices of bread. Top with sauerkraut. Top with cheese, cutting one piece in half to divide between the sandwiches. Close sandwiches.
- Lay sandwiches in a large dry skillet and set over medium heat. Cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cut in half to serve.
- Serving Size: 2 large sandwiches
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 543 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg