This skinny flourless chocolate cake will satisfy your deep dark chocolate cravings with only 217 calories per serving. And it’s gluten-free!
- 1 cup pitted prunes, about 14
- 1 cup boiling water, plus more for water bath
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped and melted (see *tip)
- Place prunes in a large heat-proof measuring cup or small bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water over them and allow to soften and cool, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange oven rack into the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray. Wrap spring-form pan in a double layer of foil to prevent leaks. Set in a large roasting pan.
- Whisk cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Puree prunes and their soaking liquid in a blender until smooth. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla and puree until smooth. Drizzle chocolate through feed tube while motor is running and puree until fully combined. Beat in vanilla and the pureed prunes until smooth on medium-low speed.
- Pour prune puree mixture into the cocoa mixture and mix with a silicone spatula until completely combined.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan. Carefully pour boiling water into the roasting pan, around the spring-form pan to create a hot water bath. Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and bake until puffed, starting to crack slightly and jiggles as a whole when the pan is tilted, 38 to 42 minutes. It will not seem firm like a cake with flour but will firm-up as it cools.
- Remove from water bath and carefully remove foil from sides. Cool on a wire rack until room temperature. Chill in refrigerator until cold and firm, about 2 hours. Remove pan sides and slice to serve.
17 g Added Sugars, 106 mg Cholesterol
To melt chocolate: Place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring between rounds, until the chocolate is about half melted. Remove from the microwave and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g