This easy 20 minute recipe for Cherry Tomato Panzanella Salad is cooked in a skillet to burst the cherry tomatoes. We’ve added in garlic, herbs and balsamic vinegar to season it.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cubed crusty farm bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, large ones cut in half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add bread and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and crusty in places, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes start to blister, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in basil or oregano, vinegar and pepper. Continue stirring as it cools in the hot skillet, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
It is best to use a heavy cast iron skillet to make this recipe. That will help to prevent scorching, and allow you to continue to gently cook the tomatoes in step four. If you do not have a heavy skillet, make sure to monitor the heat and adjust it down if the skillet starts to smoke. You may need to cook it over low heat before adding in the herbs to let the tomatoes let off their juices.
Look for good crusty bread sold in a paper bag that you have to cut yourself. For best results use day old bread. If your bread is fresh, cut it into cubes, lay it out on a baking sheet and allow it to sit out for two hours before proceeding with the recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups each
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 307 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: cherry tomato panzanella salad, cherry tomato recipe,cherry tomato panzanella, fried bread panzanella