Plump steamed mussels in savory garlic sauce are ready in 20 minutes! Our blend of garlic, shallot, white wine and parsley give restaurant-quality flavor!
- 4 pounds live mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup roughly chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- Scrub mussels with cool water and a brush and debeard. Place in a colander to drain.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottom soup pot over medium-high heat. Add in shallot and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant and just starting to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add wine and let cook, 30 seconds to 1 minute or until mostly evaporated.
- Add in clam juice and mussels. Cover and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and cook until the mussels shells open, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mussels to four wide pasta bowls. Spoon liquid over the mussels and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Keep the live mussels in the refrigerator until ready to cook them. They need to be able to breathe so they should not be sealed in a plastic bag nor stored in standing water. Ideally set them in a colander set in a bowl. Top them with ice and then lay a clean dishcloth over them. Discard any water collecting in the bowl. Use within 24 to 48 hours of bringing home.
Mussels are best eaten right after they are cooked. However, if you do have leftovers you can enjoy them within one day. Eat them chilled or gently rewarm them in their sauce. To rewarm them, place them in a saucepan with the sauce, cover and place over medium heat. Heat until the liquid is bubbling and steaming. Then turn off the heat and let them warm through for 2 to 3 minutes. It is important not to boil them or cook them too long or they will get rubbery.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 pound
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 27 g
Keywords: steamed mussels,how to steam mussels,steamed mussels with wine,steamed mussels with garlic,garlic steamed mussels