Here is a simple 10 minute recipe for cucumber salad with chives and rice vinegar dressing. It is so easy to make and only has 19 calories per serving. Not only is it fat-free and vegan but it makes a great side dish for cookouts or barbecues.
- 3 large cucumbers (enough to make 6 cups sliced)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, optional
- Peel cucumber if necessary (see note below) and cut into rounds.
- Stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in chives if using.
- Add cucumbers and toss to coat with the dressing. Serve immediately or chill up to 3 hours.
If you have a thin skinned variety of cucumber, such as European or Lebanese, you do not need to peel them before slicing. If you have regular “garden” cucumbers, you can either peel them, or remove strips of the peel off with a vegetable peeler. This will result in a more pleasant and tender texture.
If you prefer to use another vinegar, I would recommend red wine vinegar.
You can omit the sugar if you are sugar free.
If you would prefer to add oil to this, use 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
This recipe does not keep well because the cucumbers become soft and let off their water. I recommend serving right away or within three hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup each
- Calories: 19
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: healthy cucumber salad, quick cucumber salad, how to make cucumber salad, easy cucumber salad