Simple Sautéed Swiss Chard with onions, garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar. A healthy low calorie side dish.
2 large bunches Swiss chard, or rainbow chard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, diced
½ teaspoon salt
pinch each dry thyme and nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, optional
- Chop and clean Swiss Chard: Stack several pieces of Swiss chard on work surface. Remove stems and set aside. Roughly cut leaves into pieces about 2-inch square. Repeat with the remaining swiss chard. Transfer the chopped leaves to a salad spinner filled with water. Drain, repeat washing if necessary, and spin dry. Rinse and chop the Swiss chard stems (about the same size as the diced onion.)
- Cook The Swiss Chard: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped chard stems, garlic, onion, salt, thyme, nutmeg and pepper and cook, stirring often until the onions are starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add chopped cleaned Swiss chard leaves, 2 tablespoons water and cover. Let wilt, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the Swiss chard is completely wilted and softened, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and drizzle with balsamic vinegar if using. Serve hot.
Alternative To Large Skillet with Lid: If you don’t have a very large skillet with a lid you can do this in a wide Dutch oven instead.
Other Elements To Try Adding To This Recipe:
If you’re ready to get creative with this recipe here are some idea starters for ways to liven up this recipe even more!
- Add a handful of toasted almonds or pine nuts at the end.
- When you remove the lid add a handful of golden raisins, dried cranberries or dried currants
- When you pull it off the heat crumble on a little feta or goat cheese.
- Fresh herbs can be added as well. Savory woody herbs like oregano or thyme can go in with the onions, where as tender herbs like mint, basil or chives can be stirred in after it comes off the heat.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g