If you’re looking for a super basic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes recipe, you’re in luck my friends! These are creamy, tangy and the perfect Holiday side dish!
- 3 pounds organic thin-skinned “waxy” potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened* see note
- 1 cup non-fat buttermilk, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Cook Potatoes: Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover generously with cold water. Add 1 ¼ teaspoon salt. Place saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, 15 to19 minutes.
- Mash Potatoes: Drain potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Add butter and mash the potatoes roughly with a potato masher. Alternatively rice them into a bowl (see instructions below.) Add the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ cup buttermilk and white pepper and continue mashing. Gradually add more buttermilk as you mash to achieve desired consistency. Keep warm until serving.
To Rice Potatoes
For the fluffiest and lump-free potatoes use ricer. Scoop cooked potatoes a little at a time into the back of the ricer, place the die on top and gently squeeze the handles together to press the potatoes through the die. Catch the potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter with the salt, buttermilk and white pepper. Stir well with a wooden spoon, adding more buttermilk as desired.
For Richer More Buttery Potatoes
If you’re in the mood for a more buttery and rich side dish, you can use a full stick (8 tablespoons) of butter. If you do so, you may not need the full cup of buttermilk. Note calories below are based on the 5 tablespoon version of this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 396 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Simple mashed potatoes,healthy mashed potatoes