Simple Roasted Turnips! A lower starch vegetable side dish, only 9 g net carbs! A great alternative to roasted potatoes, and Whole30 and paleo approved. For just 83 calories per cup they’re quite filling and nutritious.
- 7 cups turnips peeled and cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks (about 6 medium)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- Generous pinch garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss turnips, oil and salt if using in a large bowl. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven. Roast, stirring once or twice, for 30 minutes.
- Mix oregano, thyme and garlic in a small dish. Remove the turnips from the oven. Sprinkle the turnips with the herb mixture and toss them with a spatula to coat
- Return to the oven and roast, until the turnips are tender when pierced with a fork, and browned in spots, about 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Add the seasonings only for the last five minutes so they will not burn and become bitter.
- Feel free to use other spice mixes!
- Turnips are cooked when a fork or paring knife slips easily into the flesh without resistance and then out again.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: roasted turnips, how to cook turnips, turnip recipes, how do you cook turnips, turnip recipe