This garlic hummus recipe never fails to win rave reviews. The roasted garlic and balance of lemon and creamy chickpeas is just perfect! Readers have reported that they make it over and over.
- 2 heads garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons plus 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 juicy/large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- optional garnish: sumac powder, chopped parsley and more extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Rub extra papery skin off of whole heads of garlic. Cut tips off each clove of garlic with serrated knife to exposing a bit of garlic. Lay root side down on a sheet of aluminum foil or in a small baking dish. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over the cut end of the garlic. Crimp foil closed or cover the baking dish with foil. Roast until the garlic cloves are soft and fragrant, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Open foil and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their papery skin. Discard skin and transfer the cloves to a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini and salt and puree until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with sumac, parsley and drizzled with more olive oil if desired.
Hummus will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 95
- Sodium: 176
- Fat: 8
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g