Garlic Lover’s Roasted Garlic Caesar Salad, with roasted garlic in the dressing and a whole head of roasted garlic to go on each serving! The dressing is egg-free and it has capers in it!! I added a bit of raddichio to the romaine and served it with a big crostini to spread the luscious roasted garlic on. A super yummy entree salad!
- 8 whole heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 18 slices baguette, preferably multi-grain or whole-wheat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasonings
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 hearts of Romaine, chopped and washed
- ½ head raddichio lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Asiago
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roast Garlic for Dressing: Cut ends of garlic heads off with a serrated knife exposing individual tips of garlic cloves. Place root-side down in a small baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablspoons oil over the exposed garlic clove ends. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Roast garlic until the garlic is soft and fragrant and starting to brown, 1 hour to 1 hour 25 minutes. Remove foil and allow garlic to cool.
- Make Croutons: Lay baguette on a parchment lined baking sheet. Stir 1 tablespoon oil, Italian seasoning and salt in a small dish. Brush oil over the baguette slices. Bake until browned and crisp, 14 to 16 minutes. Cool.
- While croutons cool, make dressing: Squeeze cloves from two heads of garlic into a blender or food processor and discard papery skins. Add roasted garlic oil from the baking dish, if there is any. Add the remaining ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, capers, anchovy paste, mustard and pepper and puree until smooth. Add grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and puree to combine.
- Make Salad: Combine romaine, raddichio and grated Parmigiano or Asiago in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Mound onto 6 plates and serve each with three croutons and a head of garlic.
- Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups salad plus 1 head garlic
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 898 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 10 g