Here is a recipe for basic roasted beets. Peel them, toss them with oil and seasoning. Roast them in a baking dish covered with foil to help them soften. Then season with balsamic vinegar and thyme at the end for added flavor!
2 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Toss beets, oil, salt and pepper in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.
3. Roast, lifting off the foil to stir once or twice, until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes.
4. Add balsamic vinegar and thyme and toss to coat. Return to the oven, and roast uncovered for 10 minutes.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can use any color beets for this recipe. Note that the red beets will stain the other colors a bit as they cook. To prevent your hands from turning red when you handle the beets, wear disposable gloves.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 15 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g