Celebrate the best of what Summer has to offer with this Red White and Blue Buttermilk Berry Tart! A lightly sweetened buttermilk custard is poured over a mix of fresh, plump and delicious summer berries and baked in an easy press-in crust and then topped with a dollop of whipped cream. The perfect warm weather dessert!
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus 1 to 2 teaspoon for brushing crust
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar or lightly packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup maple sugar or lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups mixed berries, divided (blueberries, raspberries and hulled and halved or quartered strawberries)
- ½ cup cold whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh Mint
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch tart pan with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile make crust: Process ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, whole-wheat pastry flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter, and pulse to chop butter into the flour mixture until it resembles meal. Open lid, drizzle on oil, and repeat pulsing until the oil is incorporated into the flour mixture. Open lid and drizzle cold water over the crumbs. Cover and pulse about 15 times, until the mixture is moist and starting to clump together. It will look like small pebbles, but when you squeeze it, it should hold together.
- Pat crumb mixture into the tart pan and press to make evenly thick all over and up sides. A dry measuring cup is useful to make the bottom flat. Press tines of a fork into the pastry down to the pan about 10 times with a fork. Transfer the tart pan to a baking sheet. Set in oven and bake until the crust is dry and set up and starting to pull from the sides, 13 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 to 2 teaspoon flour over the tart shell and brush into the fork holes.
- Beat eggs, buttermilk, sugar and almond extract in a large bowl. Add flour and beat until smooth. Arrange 2 cups berries in the custard, decoratively if desired. Carefully pour the custard mixture into the tart shell. Do not overfill. Rearrange any berries if necessary.
- Carefully return the tart to the oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees. Bake until the custard is set up in the center, 40 to 46 minutes. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve topped with whipped cream, the remaining berries and mint.
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 95 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg