This colorful Panzanella Salad has tomatoes, peppers, onion and cucumbers to give it loads of flavor, crunch and color. The bread is toasted then soaks up the garlic dressing and tomato juices which make it better and better as it sits. Perfect for summer potlucks and events!
- 9 ounces crusty Italian bread, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 large ripe red tomato, cored and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 large ripe yellow tomato, cored and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cut into bite sized squares
- 1 purple or green bell pepper, cut into bite sized squares
- ½ red onion, root removed, peeled and sliced from stem end to root end
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into small bite-sized chunks
- ½ cup sliced pitted olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread bread out on a large baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake until crispy and starting to brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in basil.
- Add the hot croutons and red and yellow tomato to the dressing, and toss to coat. Let sit, tossing occasionally until the bread has absorbed the dressing and tomato juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in red and purple peppers, onion, cucumber and olives. Serve immediately or at room temperature within two hours. If not serving within two hours, cover and refrigerate.
To Make Ahead One Day In Advance:
- The best way to do that is to toast the bread and keep it out on a sheet pan, loosely covered with foil.
- Then chop up the veggies (except the tomatoes) and keep them in a glass container in the fridge.
- Mix the dressing and put it in a jar in the fridge.
- Up to four hours before serving, toss the bread, tomatoes and dressing together, and let soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Then add in the remaining ingredients.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 189 cals
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: panzanella,panzanella salad,best panzanella salad,easy panzanella,healthy panzanella salad