Don’t miss this easy Quick Beef Stew recipe that will tickle your taste buds. It is chock-full of lean ground beef and vegetables and is ready in just 45 minutes making it a perfect kid friendly weeknight dinner. And it’s gluten free!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil. Divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef, preferably 92% lean
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- pinch red chili flake, optional
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 4-cup box beef broth or stock, divided *see tip
- 2 medium Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots diced,
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced parsnips
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the bottom of a large heavy bottom soup pot over high heat. Add beef, and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the meat to a bowl, along with any juices from the pot, and cover with foil.
- Return the pot to the stove and reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot. Add garlic and onion, and cook stirring until the onion starts to brown in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika, salt, thyme and red pepper flake if using, and cook, stirring until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring until the wine has almost evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 3 ½ cups broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnips and Worcestershire and stir well. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium to maintain a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Stir the remaining ½ cup broth with cornstarch, and stir into the simmering stew. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring. Stir in the beef and return to a simmer. Remove stew from the heat and ladle into bowls. Top with parsley.
To speed this recipe up even more. While you brown the meat in step 1, bring the 3 ½ cups broth used in step 3 to a simmer in a separate pot or in the microwave. Once it is added to the pot in step 3, the whole stew will come to a simmer more quickly, shaving 7 minutes off your total time. Just make sure not to pre-heat the ½ cup that’s mixed with the cornstarch in step 4.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 366
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 28 g