Perfect healthy gift from the kitchen for the holidays, whole grain pumpkin bread with classic eggnog flavor, topped with cinnamon streusel.
- 1 14-ounce can pumpkin puree, or 1 ¾ cup home-made pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons cream sherry or dark rum
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
Make Bread Batter
- Beat pumpkin, brown sugar, sugar, egg, melted butter, sherry or rum, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add dry mixture to the pumpkin mixture and gently blend on slow until just combined. Spread batter in loaf pan.
Make Streusel Topping
- Mix oats, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, softened butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bow until crumbly. Top the batter with the streusel topping.
- Bake until the center is puffed and set. It will spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out with moist crumbs attached, 55 to 60 minutes. To remove from the oven, slide onto a pizza peel or un-rimmed baking sheet to handle. Let cool completely on wire rack.
This bread can be kept at room temperature for three to four days. Once it is completely cool, wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap.
To Freeze the Pumpkin Bread: Wrap in several layers of plastic wrap then seal it in a resealable freezer gallon bag. Tip: press the air out of the bag before sealing it shut! You can freeze this bread for up to a month without any changes to the breads texture. To thaw it, unwrap it and let it sit on a wire rack for two to three hours.
To rewarm the bread, wrap it in foil or set it on a baking sheet. Place it in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/12 loaf
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 21 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g