Healthy Chocolate Brownies with Pumpkin Pie Swirl.
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese)
- ¾ cup sugar, divider
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 can pure pumpkin puree, divided
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour or white whole-wheat
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (see tip)
- ½ cup non-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat Neufchatel and ¼ cup sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until completely smooth. Add 1 egg and beat until smooth. Add ¾ cup pumpkin, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the remaining ½ cup sugar, 2 eggs, the remaining pumpkin puree, 2 teaspoons vanilla, oil and chocolate in a large bowl until completely smooth. Add flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Add buttermilk and beat until completely combined.
- Spread chocolate brownie mixture out in the pan. Top with the pumpkin cream cheese layer. Drag a clean knife through the layers to swirl.
- Bake until the brownie is set and the edges are lightly puffed, 30-32 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
48 mg Cholesterol, 13 g Added Sugar
Tip* to melt chocolate: place chocolate in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between each round, until mostly melted. Let sit, stirring often until completely melted. To melt without a microwave see here.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 bars
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 290 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: pumpkin pie brownies