If you are looking for an impressive, delicious and wow-worthy cornbread recipe then this Maple Pumpkin Cornbread is just what you are searching for! The light maple sweetness, creamy pumpkin, tangy buttermilk and touch of sweet pumpkin pie spice add something special to traditional cornbread. This pumpkin cornbread is incredibly moist and fluffy and 100% whole-grain!
- 1 ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Whisk egg in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, pumpkin, maple syrup and oil thoroughly in a large measuring cup or medium bowl.
- Pour wet mix into the well in the dry mix and stir together until evenly moistened.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Spread the top and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 39 minutes
The pumpkin and maple in this recipe keep this cornbread exceptionally moist and we found it was still really yummy on day two and even day three! Keep covered at room temperature.
We love cornbread served warm. To rewarm this, wrap in foil and bake until just warm, about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. A single serving can be briefly heated in the microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds.
Wrap the cornbread while still in the baking dish in foil and then place in an extra-large freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to eat thaw on the countertop and rewarm in the oven.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: SIde Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 wedge
- Calories: 194 cals
- Sugar: 10 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: pumpkin cornbread,healthy pumpkin cornbread,maple pumpkin cornbread,whole-wheat pumpkin cornbread