If you’re looking for a yummy but healthy Potato and Sausage Soup then, you’ll love this Potato and Kale Soup with Andouille Sausage! It is made with leek, carrot, celery and a little anise seed. It is only 260 calories per serving, it is naturally gluten-free and it’s ready to eat in 45 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, sliced and cleaned (see how to clean a leek)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry marjoram
- ½ teaspoon anise seed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth, such as Pacific
- 1 ½ pounds thin-skinned yellow or white potatoes, such as Yukon gold, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
- 6 ounces, andouille sausage or kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped (about 8 cups)
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic and leek and cook, stirring often until the leek is starting to soften and the garlic is fragrant but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in carrot, celery, salt, pepper, marjoram and anise, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are starting to softened and the bottom of the pot is starting to brown slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until mostly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and potatoes, cover and bring to a boil. Stir the stew, then layer the andouille or kielbasa on top followed by the kale, cover and return to a boil. [Note: There will be what looks like a LOT of kale on top that will gradually steam down.] Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and continue cooking, stirring ocassionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir and serve.
18 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars, 956 mg Potassium. To make ahead: This stew is even better on day two. If it is too thick, add a little broth or water.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups each
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 402 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 9.5 g