These Portobello and Swiss Beef Burgers are made with ground grass-fed beef stuffed through with shredded Swiss Cheese and chopped portobello mushrooms. They’re ready in under 30 minutes, so you can get a delicious kid-friendly dinner on the table lickety-split!
- 1 portobello mushroom, gills removed, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or Jarlsburg (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef, 90 to 93% lean
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 buns, toasted
- 4 leaves green-leaf lettuce, onion slices, ketchup, mayo (reduced-fat if desired) and pickle chips, optional
- Mix mushroom, Swiss cheese, breadcrumbs, salt and garlic powder together in a large bowl with clean hands. Add beef and gently break up the meat and toss with the cheese mixture. Gently press meat and cheese mixture together, kneading ever so slightly. Do not over work or it’ll be spongy. Form into four 4-inch patties. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Coat a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add patties a cook until crispy and browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn gently and continue cooking until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melting out the sides of the patties, about 5 minutes more. Let rest 2 minutes before assembling on the buns with optional accompaniments.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 695 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 27 g