This creamy, peppermint and chocolate cheesecake is made with pureed cottage cheese and reduced fat cream cheese to lighten it up, and save on calories. It tastes just like a York Peppermint Pattie candy.
For the Cake
- 6 ounces chocolate cookies such as Mi Del Chocolate Snap (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 8- ounce packages Neufchatel cheese 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 16- ounce container non-fat cottage cheese
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup non-fat evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespooons honey
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
For Garnish (optional)
- 3/4 cup Junior Mints,Peppermint Patties, fresh mint sprigs or candy cane for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. See note*. Put a kettle of water on to boil for the water bath.
- Prepare cake: Grind cookies to a fine meal in food processor. Drizzle in butter and process until crumbs are moistened. Press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set the springform pan into a roasting pan and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until completely smooth, stopping and scraping down sides occasionally. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down sides occasionally. Beat in vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Clean food processor and add cottage cheese. Process the cottage cheese in the food processor until completely smooth, about 2 minutes. Scraping down sides once. Gradually beat the cottage cheese into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan over the crumb crust. Pour the boiling water into the roasting pan to create a hot water bath for the cake and carefully transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until set but not cracked, 70 to 80 minutes.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and let cake cool in the water bath until the water is room temperature. Remove the springform pan from the water bath and refrigerate until completely cold, at least 4 hours. Wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight if desired.
- Prepare glaze: Heat evaporated milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Place cocoa powder, chocolate chips and honey in a large heat-proof bowl. As soon as the milk starts to bubble pour it over the chocolate chip mixture and whisk until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Whisk in confectioners sugar until smooth.
- To garnish and serve: Remove sides of the springform pan. Transfer cake to a cake stand if desired or just leave it on the pan bottom. Spread the glaze over the cake. Garnish with Junior Mints, Peppermint patties, fresh mint, or candy cane pieces.
If you have an older spring-form pan that may leak, wrap the outside of the pan with a few layers of aluminum foil. 0 mg cholesterol, 19 g added sugars
- Serving Size: 1/16th cake
- Calories: 277.2 cal
- Sugar: 22.47 g
- Sodium: 277.84 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.35 g
- Trans Fat: 0.06 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.81 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 6.94 g
- Cholesterol: 72.02 mg