These Paleo Chocolate Raspberry Muffins set a new bar for paleo muffins around here! They’re made with two cups of raspberries and believe it or not, they are 100% grain-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free!
1 ½ cup almond flour
½ cup arrowroot starch
¼ cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups frozen raspberries, divided (8 ounces)
3 large eggs, separated (at room temperature*see tip)
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons avocado oil
2 teaspoons vanilla (alcohol free if desired)
½ teaspoon almond extract (alcohol free if desired)
2 ounces paleo chocolate, chopped into chunks (or ½ cup chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Sift almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. (A colander with small holes works well.)
- Measure out 1 cup frozen raspberries into a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Top with honey. Microwave 30 seconds to thaw the berries and loosen the honey. Stir together until it becomes thin jam-like liquid. If needed, microwave for an additional 15 seconds to warm enough to melt the raspberries. Do not boil.
- Whisk egg yolks, oil, vanilla extract, almond extract and the raspberry honey mixture in a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a clean dry bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold the dry mixture into the honey and raspberry mixture. Using a silicone spatula, gradually fold the egg whites into the batter to loosen and lighten it. Fold in the remaining half of the raspberries and chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, dividing evenly. Top with more chocolate and raspberries if desired. Bake 26 to 28 minutes, or until completely set up. Let cool 15 minutes before transferring the muffins to a wire cooling rack. Note: paper muffin liners will stick to the muffins until they are completely cool.
*tip: To safely bring fresh eggs to room temperature, place in a small bowl and run hot tap water over them. Let sit in the warm water for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 178 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g