This Overnight Kale Caesar Salad will change your relationship with kale forevermore! And in a good way. The BEST way. You’ll make it over and over because it is the perfect make-ahead salad!
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch coarse kosher salt, divided
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups bite-sized pieces of curly kale, about 1 1/2 to 2 bunches see note
- 4 cups crusty whole-grain bread cut into cubes, about 6 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Peel and mince garlic clove. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over the garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife to form a smooth paste. Scrape garlic paste into a mini-prep, food processor or blender. Add anchovies, 1/2 cup olive oil, cheese, lemon juice, Dijon and pepper and puree until smooth and pale yellow, about 30 seconds. Toss kale with the dressing in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toss bread with the remaining 1tablespoon oil, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic and the remaining pinch of salt until the bread is coated. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, but not hard, 10 to 12 minutes. They will continue to harden as they cool. Add cooled croutons to the salad and toss again.
To measure your kale, remove the central rib, and cut or tear into bite sizes pieces. Measure by filling the largest available measuring cup, and press down on the greens so they are packed, without overly crushing the greens. Repeat until you have 12 cups. The amount of kale seems almost ridiculously huge before it sits overnight. Don’t worry! It will settle down to a much smaller amount.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 19 g.
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 8