One Pot Chicken and Rice with Spring Veggies, ready in 30 minutes and naturally gluten-free.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely diced red pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or home-made chicken stock
- 2 cups quick cooking brown rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shelled peas, or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup snap peas, cut in half
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet or straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat until the butter is melted but not browning. Add the shallot, red pepper and thyme and cook, stirring often until the vegetables start to soften, 1 to 3 minutes. Add chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add broth, brown rice and salt, and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer, and cook until the rice has absorbed most of the broth, about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and increase to high. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add asparagus, peas and snap peas on top. Make sure mixture comes back to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and let cook 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, without removing lid and let sit 3 to 4 minutes or until the rice absorbs the liquid and fully softens.
- Before serving stir the vegetables, ¼ cup Parmesan, chives and tarragon (or chervil) into the rice to combine. Serve with additional Parmesan if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 21 g