Mini Beef Wellington Pot Pies with mushrooms and savory gravy in flaky home-made tartlet shells. A tasty appetizer to serve for a Downton Abbey Party!
- 1 ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese)
- ¼ cup mild olive oil
- ¼ pound lean ground beef, preferably grass-fed
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ cup finely diced onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon paprika, hot if desired
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup reduced sodium beef or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons corn starch
- Process white whole-wheat flour, butter and ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor until it resembles the texture of coarse cornmeal. Add Neufchatel and drizzle oil over the flour mixture, process until mixture comes together as a dough. Roll while squeezing into a log, and cut into 24 even pieces. Lightly coat 2 mini muffin tins with cooking spray (24 cups) Press each dough ball into and up sides of the muffin cups. Refrigerate tins while you prepare the filling
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add beef and garlic, and cook, breaking-up and stirring, until the beef is browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion, mushrooms, paprika, pepper and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring often until the mushrooms and onions are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk broth, Worcestershire, tomato paste, corn starch and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Stir into the beef mixture and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the liquid bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the beef mixture among the muffin tins, using a dinner fork, and bake until the pie shells are browned and the filling is bubbling, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before gently removing pies from the tins. Serve warm.
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 94 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g