This easy Mexican Coleslaw only takes five minutes to mix together. Make it as simple as you like or add in optional ingredients to make it a Mexican party side dish.
1 lime, juiced, about 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon juice
¼ cup olive oil avocado oil or organic canola oil
2 teaspoons honey or sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
½ teaspoon salt
5 cups shredded cabbage, or bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix
½ cup finely chopped cilantro
Optional Ingredients: 2 tablespoons minced red onion or 2 scallions, sliced; 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds (papitas)
Whisk lime juice, oil, honey, cumin (if using) and salt in a large salad bowl. Add cabbage and cilantro and toss to coat. If using optional ingredients, add them and toss to combine.
Feel free to sub 1 cup of any of the following vegetables for 1 cup of the cabbage:
Shredded carrots, thinly sliced or matchstick radish, julienne jicama, thinly sliced red bell pepper.
Make Ahead Instructions
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for two to three days. Note that the scallions and cilantro will be wilted a bit, but the coleslaw will still have plenty of crunch and great tangy flavor!
To Make Ahead For a Party
- I would suggest making the dressing and keeping it in a jar (up to a week ahead.)
- Chop the cabbage five days ahead. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for three days so it doesn’t brown.
- Wait until the day of the party to cut up the onions and cilantro.
- Toss everything together a couple hours before you plant to serve it to let the cabbage soften a little bit. Keep it refrigerated if possible.
- Serving Size: 1 generous cup
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 317
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g