These low-carb Mexican cauliflower patties are everything! They are gluten-free and vegetarian, and will disappear in a flash, they taste THAT good.
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored and chopped into large florets
- 3 scallions minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix (I used this one)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus coarse kosher salt to serve
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- lime wedges
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower to the steamer basket, cover and steam until the cauliflower is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove basket from saucepan and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir scallions, eggs, cilantro, almond flour, spice mix and salt in a medium bowl.
- Puree the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment until the cauliflower is paste-like, and becomes a little moist. It will not be completely smooth, more like small grains of rice. Add the cauliflower to the spice mixture and stir to combine. Add the cheddar and mix in evenly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Mound scant ¼ cup portions of the cauliflower mixture into the oil. Cover with a lid and cook, adjusting heat to prevent scorching if necessary, until the cauliflower patties are set up and the bottoms are browned, 5 to 7 minutes. (If the patties seem like they will break apart they are not ready to flip.) Carefully flip the patties over and continue cooking until the second side is browned, and the patties are cooked through. Transfer the patties to the baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 4 portions of remaing cauliflower mixture, adjusting the heat if necessary. Serve with lime wedges and kosher salt.
- Serving Size: 2 patties, scant 1/4 cup each
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 393 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 15 g