Here’s a healthy gluten-free lentil side salad for the summer. It has Mediterranean flavors with cucumbers, feta, spinach and red pepper. I used black lentils, but French Green lentils would also work great.
- 1 cup dry black lentils, sorted
- 2 cups sliced spinach
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced seeded cucumber
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup walnut balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan. Generously cover lentils with cold water and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a steady simmer, and cook until just tender, 20 to 26 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool running water. Transfer the lentils to a large mixing bowl.
- Add spinach, parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, vinaigrette, feta, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Serve immediately or chill.
Adapted from Sarah Haas RD
If you cannot find black lentils substitute French De Pouilly green lentils instead.
For best results serve this salad within a few hours of making it. But leftovers are still yummy even if the spinach and parsley wilt a bit! Keep it in the fridge for up to five days in a tightly sealed container.
The cucumber will let off some of its liquid, so you will want to serve this salad with a slotted spoon.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 9 g