- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly “Philly cut” preferably with a mandoline (see tip*)
- Stir vinegar, syrup, pickling spice salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat and boil 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Place onion in a medium heat-proof bowl or measuring cup. Strain the hot vinegar mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over the onions, and toss with a fork. Discard the solids from the sieve. Let onions cool in the pickling liquid until room temperature, stirring every once in a while, about 30 minutes. Store onions in the liquid in the refrigerator up to 1 week.