These unique Maple Thumbprint Cookies with Hazelnuts are made without jam. Instead the thumbprints are filled with maple cream.
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, about 3 ½ ounces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated maple sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple cream, stirred
- Place hazelnuts and sugar in food processor. Process until the hazelnuts are finely ground, about 40 seconds. Scrape edges with a spatula. Add whole-wheat flour, flour, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl bowl with an electric mixture until light and fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add maple sugar and beat until combined. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until completely incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Arrange oven rack in the center of the oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Scoop 1 tablespoon portions of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing evenly. Press gently down in the center with thumb or fingertip to create a slight indent. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Bake, one at a time, turning the tray around half-way, until the cookies are just lightly golden and set up, 10 to 12 minutes total. Let the cookies cool before spooning a small dollop of maple cream into the center of each cookie.
Make Them Gluten Free: For a gluten-free alternative you can use a 1:1 blend of gluten-free flour mix. Most will work fine. If your dough seems sticky or soft you may want to stir in 1 to 2 more tablespoons gf flour to thicken the dough. This will help the cookies hold their rounded shape and thumbprint wells.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: maple thumbprint cookies,maple cookies,maple nut cookies