This healthy carrot cake is only 254 calories per serving, and it is so sweet and moist. Loaded with carrots, raisins, walnuts, and pineapple.
For the cake
- 1 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1 cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 2 tablespoons maple liquor or dark rum, optional
- 2 cups shredded carrots, from about 3 medium peeled carrots
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained through a fine mesh sieve
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons (granulated) maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons toasted unsweetened coconut for garnish, optional
- Make Cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves in a medium bowl.
- Beat eggs, maple, avocado (or canola oil) and liquor in a large bowl until completely combined. Add carrots, pineapple, raisins and walnuts and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture and stir until completely moistened. Spread batter in the prepared baking pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the cake is deep brown and set in the center when lightly touched with finger tips, 48 to 54 minutes. Test to make sure cake is done with a toothpick. Moist crumbs will be attached when cake is fully cooked. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack, 45 minutes to an hour.
- Make Frosting: Stir cream cheese, maple sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl with silicone spatula until the maple is completely dissolved. Vigorously beat in coconut oil until it comes together into a smooth thick frosting.
- Immediately spread the frosting over the cake. Top with toasted coconut if using.
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 177 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g